Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Some Nights (song)


Some Nights by Fun. happens to be one of my favorite songs.
Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck
Some nights, I call it a draw
Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle
Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know anymore...
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh

This is it, boys, this is war - what are we waiting for?
Why don't we break the rules already?
I was never one to believe the hype - save that for the black and white
I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, but here they come again to jack my style

And that's alright; I found a martyr in my bed tonight
She stops my bones from wondering just who I am, who I am, who I am
Oh, who am I? mmm... mmm...

Well, some nights, I wish that this all would end
Cause I could use some friends for a change
And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights, I always win, I always win...

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for, oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know... (come on)

So this is it? I sold my soul for this?
Washed my hands of that for this?
I miss my mom and dad for this?

(Come on)

No. When I see stars, when I see, when I see stars, that's all they are
When I hear songs, they sound like this one, so come on
Oh, come on. Oh, come on, OH COME ON!

Well, that is it guys, that is all - five minutes in and I'm bored again
Ten years of this, I'm not sure if anybody understands
This one is not for the folks at home; Sorry to leave, mom, I had to go
Who the fuck wants to die alone all dried up in the desert sun?

My heart is breaking for my sister and the con that she call "love"
When I look into my nephew's eyes...
Man, you wouldn't believe the most amazing things that can come from...
Some terrible {lies|nights}...ahhh...

Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa, oh oh
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa, oh oh

The other night, you wouldn't believe the dream I just had about you and me
I called you up, but we'd both agree
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance... oh...
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance... oh...
I've had insomnia for quite some time now and one restless night I came upon this song.

Boy I sure do think on the nights that I get ~2 hours of sleep that I am cashing in on my bag luck.

And I do have to admit the question that has haunted me is: what do I stand for?

But then watch the music video and it hits you harder.
Honestly I don't think the full impact of a song can be realized until you watch the music video. The music video can tell you so much and open your mind.

With having insomnia for so long I can express the haunting of ghosts... err or should I say memories. Those that perhaps you don't want will especially come flooding back. And the simple act of a husband's love scares the ghosts and keeps them at bay.

My sleeping husband has a tendency, without him knowing, to slip his arm around me and pull me close to him. He is soundly sleeping and does not aware anything is haunting me. That simple act he does by pulling me close to him and holding on. It does more than show his love for me, it does more than keep at bay any bad thoughts I am thinking of... it reminds me I am not alone.

Some nights that I have may be bad but those same nights are proven they are not as bad as I may think they are.

Just remember that. No matter how bad you think something is, shine a little love and you will see it's not.

No comments

Post a Comment

No spam comments will be approved